Dental Radiology Regulations and Testing Information
The State Board of Dentistry (SBOD) regulates that only licensed dental hygienists, as well as auxiliary personnel who passed the approved examination, may perform radiologic procedures. The procedures must take place under the supervision of a dentist.
For more information regarding radiologic procedure regulations, please refer to Title 49, Section 33.302 of the Pa. Code.
The SBOD-approved radiologic procedure examination is administered by Dental Assisting National Board (DANB). Candidates can schedule an exam and access study resources, sample questions and exam content outlines by visiting www.danb.org or calling (800) 367-3262.
25 Pa. Code, Section 221.11(b) requires that dentists and their staff (those that are involved with X-ray procedures) maintain continuing education (CE) in radiation safety, biological effects of radiation, quality assurance and quality control.
Radiology PowerPoint - earn CE credits!
Issues Committee has developed a complimentary online radiology
CE presentation for in-office training, exclusively for PDA members and
their staff. View
the PowerPoint presentation now!*
Trouble logging on? You may reset your password, submit a request to PDA or contact Andrea Hoover for assistance.
*If you do not have PowerPoint installed on your computer, download the PDF version.
Upon review of the presentation, members and their staff will have the option to complete an online radiology quiz. Those that successfully complete the quiz will earn 2 CE credits in radiology. After successful completion of the quiz, a certificate of completion will be sent.
Quality Assurance Resources
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Minimum Quality Assurance Requirements for Healing Art Radiology Fact Sheet
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Model Quality Assurance Program Guidelines for Dental, Diagnostic Radiology and Mammography Fact Sheet
- Department of Environmental Protection Inspection Log Template
- General Maintenance Log Template
- Repeat Exposure Log Template
- Sample Quality Assurance Program
- Sample Safety Program
- ADA Dental Radiographic Examinations: Recommendations for Patient Selection and Limiting Radiation Exposure
For more information on radiology CE requirements, please see “Radiation Protection Update Questions and Answers.”
For further information regarding this issue, please contact the PDA Central Office at (717) 234-5941, or email Kathleen Kennedy.
If you are a dentist who is not currently a PDA member, but would like to consider membership, please contact the PDA Central Office at (717) 234-5941.