The most important action you can take to maintain good oral health is to floss and brush your teeth daily. The following information outlines the importance and techniques of proper tooth-flossing.
Why is flossing necessary for
good oral health?
Although tooth brushing removes plaque from tooth surfaces, it cannot entirely remove plaque that exists between teeth. To effectively remove plaque, you should clean between the teeth with dental floss.
How many times a day should I
floss my teeth?
Floss at least once each day. You may want to consider flossing more often if you are prone to getting food caught between teeth.
What is the proper technique for flossing my
PDA recommends the following tips to help you floss your teeth effectively:
- Hold the floss so that there is a short segment with which you can work.
- Using your thumbs and forefingers, guide the floss between teeth using a gentle rubbing motion.
- When the floss reaches the gumline, gently slide the floss into the space between the gum and tooth.
- Holding floss tightly against the tooth, rub the sides of the tooth, moving the floss away from the gum with up and down motions.
- Repeat this method on all teeth.