Tackling Unnecessary Antibiotic Exposure by Optimizing Antibiotic Stewardship Practices in Dentistry
Speakers: Marie T. Fluent, DDS; Elaine Balley; Dr. Corey Medler
View course brochure here.
This course is sponsored by WellSpan York Hospital Dental Center for three (3) hours of course instruction and three (3) CE credit hours. Three-hour lecture/panel discussion for dentists, and all dental team members.
Antibiotic misuse and overuse increases the risk of patient harm through antibiotic resistance and antibiotic induced adverse events. This lecture focuses on antibiotic stewardship practices in the dental profession to reduce unnecessary antibiotic use. Excess antibiotic exposure provides a lasting impact on patients by contributing to antibiotic resistance and adverse events, most notably Clostridioides difficile (C. Diff). , These are two of the leading issues within the U.S and emphasizes the importance of addressing antibiotic stewardship in the dental profession. Guidelines for antibiotic prescribing in dentistry and challenges to responsible prescribing will be discussed. Attendees will be provided with numerous clinical tips, tools and resources for all dental team members to promote addressing antibiotic stewardship. A bibliography of current literature, publications, and CV can be found at www.mariefluent.com
- Describe the impact that unnecessary antibiotic exposure has on patient harm including antibiotic resistance and Clostridiodes difficile infection
- Discuss antibiotic prescribing practices in dentistry
- Review ADA guidelines for management of odontogenic infections and ADA/AAOS guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis
- Identify key stewardship issues in dentistry and provide approaches and tools that may be implemented.
12:45 - 1:00 p.m. Webinar Sign On
1:00 - 2:15 p.m. Welcome / Dr. Fluent
2:15 - 3:15 p.m. lntro’s / Elaine Bailey / Corey Medler
3:15 - 3:45 p.m. Q&A
3:45 - 4:00 p.m. Wrap up & Key takeaways
||Wednesday, May 12, 2021
1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
$25 – PDA member dentist and non-dentist team members
|3 credit hours
|May 6, 2021
Cancellation policy: No refunds.
What to expect for this virtual course:
Registration is a two-step process. Step 1: follow the registration instructions below. Step 2: register in Zoom to receive your link to join the webinar. Beginning May 7, attendees will receive an email with a link to register in Zoom to receive a link to join the webinar. Each attendee must watch the program on their own device and use a device that allows you to view and hear the presentation. WellSpan York Hospital will track attendance and award CE credit. If your name does not appear on the attendance report generated after the virtual meeting, you will not receive credit for the course.
To register online please follow these steps:
Dental team members who want to register without a dentist and do not have a website username and password should contact Andrea Castilow via email or call (717) 234-5941, ext. 123, regarding online registration.
1. Sign in to the website. Every dentist has a record. For most dentists, your website default username is your first initial, last name and four-digit year of birth with no spaces. The password is lowercase ada and your ADA number. If you need assistance with your username and password, please contact Andrea via email.
2. Click the Register Myself button. Pricing will be applied based on your member status.
3. To register non-dentist (hygienists, assistants or non-licensed guests) attendees for the course, click +Add a Guest under "My Registration Status:" to add your guest. If you have previously attended a PDA program with a non-dentist guest, that person may appear as an existing contact. Please use unique email addresses for all attendees.
4. Click Proceed to Checkout to review your order and enter your credit card information.
5. Click Submit Order to complete your registration. You will receive a confirmation email.
6. Expect an email on May 7 with the link to register in Zoom. Once you enter the required information, Zoom will send your personalized link to join the webinar to the email address you provided to Zoom.
WellSpan York Hospital is an Approved PACE Program Provider.
FAGD/MAGD Credit Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement.
(11/1/2020 to 10/31/2024)