What should a dentist do in the event it is impossible to have either a parent or guardian accompany the minor to the office?

When the appointment is confirmed, notice should be given to the parent that treatment will not be rendered in the event the parent is not present unless there is written consent to authorize specific treatment. The consent form should delineate the treatment the child is expected to undergo. Further, if in the course of treatment, should any additional work need to be done, such treatment should be postponed until a parent can be contacted so as to obtain written consent. As a standard procedure, you should encourage that a parent or guardian accompany their children on all visits. 

Answer is informational only and not intended as legal advice. Answer may contain excerpts from
 The ADA Practical Guide to Frequently Asked Legal Questions.