What should a patient do if he or she requests a copy of their dental record and the dentist refuses to honor their request?

Patients should request dental records in writing. If the dentist refuses to transfer the patient's dental records within 30 days, the patient should notify the State Board of Dentistry at (717) 783-7162. Refusal to transfer dental records constitutes unprofessional conduct under the dental regulations, and subjects the dentist to disciplinary actions by the Board.

Answer is informational only and not intended as legal advice. Answer may contain excerpts from
 The ADA Practical Guide to Frequently Asked Legal Questions.