PDA Leadership Academy
Do you see yourself as a future leader in organized dentistry?
Do you want to be in the room where important decisions are made?
Do you want to prevent outside agencies from controlling your future?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then the PDA Leadership Academy is designed with you in mind, offering a balance of unique PDA experiences, networking, and leadership growth. The ability to customize your immersion experience offerings ensures a personalized journey that will benefit you professionally and personally.
**Please note: each district is guaranteed at least one participant provided we receive an application from (or on behalf of) a member in that district. If there is no application from a particular district, an applicant from any other district could be given that spot up until we have 12 total in that year’s class.**
From the PDA Leadership Academy (PDA-LA), you can expect to gain:
- A comprehensive understanding of organized dentistry's structure and offerings, through immersion experiences.
- Valuable leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Exposure and access to thought leaders within organized dentistry and your areas of interest.
- A unique networking opportunity to interact with colleagues with whom you may not otherwise connect.
- A solid foundation for future leadership opportunities within and outside of organized dentistry.
- Recognition at a special conference where participants will be awarded a participation plaque.
- Participants will be placed on a special LA graduate list that the Board can utilize to fill future leadership positions.
What is the commitment?
The Leadership Academy is a 1-year commitment. Timewise it requires you to participate in 4 immersion experiences:
- The first immersion is a PDA Board meeting or Council meeting. (usually on Fridays, you can attend for as little as 4 hours or you can spend the entire day at the meeting and we will pay for an overnight stay.)
- The second immersion is a group learning activity on Saturday, April 30, 2022. It will be around 4 hours and will include lunch. This immersion experience occurs at the PDA Annual Session which will offer many other interactive experiences if you wish to stay.
- The third immersion will be a second group learning activity in July of 2022 on a Saturday for 4 hours.
- The fourth and final immersion experience will be based on the participant’s area of interest. It could be a meeting with legislators, a meeting with the deans, or a meeting with an outside agency or with one of our councils or committees. This could be any day of the week and will last 4-6 hours.
If needed, you can participate in up to 2 “immersion experiences” virtually. Although, if you are able to participate in-person, you will receive a much richer and meaningful experience.
So the time commitment is only 4 days and a total of up to 22 hours plus travel time.
You will also be assigned 1-2 Leadership Mentors and you will be talking to them either face-to-face, on Zoom or on the phone at least once a month.
During the year, we will be discussing 2 books and several YouTube videos.
What is the cost?
The entire Leadership Academy is complimentary! All travel, lodging, books and meals are paid by the PDA. Your only cost would be for the PDA Annual Session registration and hotel if you wanted to stay overnight.
**Please note that for each immersion event, mileage reimbursement, consistent with PDA policy, will be provided to each academy participant that attends in person, as will one night’s lodging at the hotel PDA designates (for those that need it).**
What will you learn?
The PDA Leadership Academy is customized for you. You will have input on what is discussed. We will review everything you need and want to know about being an effective and successful leader!
In addition to your specific needs and wants, we will review:
- how to run a meeting,
- how to interact with committee members that speak too much and that do not speak at all.
- We will review the structure of the ADA and the PDA and share with you the wants, desires and needs of our diverse membership.
- We will also discuss communication skills and the basics of organized dentistry and the agencies that can influence how we practice
- And most of all we will share how to build long-term relationships with current leaders and how to make a difference in the lives of others!